Author Topic: Contacts are gone and when I try to sync nothing happens.  (Read 18091 times)

maryc

Contacts are gone and when I try to sync nothing happens.
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:04:48 AM »
This was working like a charm for me up until this morning.  I opened my email and all my contacts were gone from Thunderbird.  They were still in my Gmail Contacts though.  I've tried to uninstall, reinstall, sync multiple times and I still can't get my contacts back into Thunderbird.

maryc

Re: Contacts are gone and when I try to sync nothing happens.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:25:48 AM »
I just tried the newer version (3.0a3) and was able to get my contacts back into Thunderbird, but now their addresses don't come through in the sync...I really love that the pictures show up now, but how do I get the addresses back?  Thanks for any help.

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:09:49 AM »
This is weird...

Josh, I'm having a major problem as described by maryc here.

I changed the gmail password, then slowly and carefully started adding gContactsync (0.2.13) back to our PCs - first, for just the 3 people who have 2-way sync ability - everything seemed fine for a few days, updates were being applied by the primary person responsible and syncing properly with the other computers.

Then, I started adding the read-only users - first one went fine, then all of a sudden this morning - bam - I add one more, and when I synced, the Vendors AB was empty.

OK, I went back to my PC (I have 2-way sync), and after syncing, the AB was empty.

Ok, I re-added the contacts from my backup, and pushed them back to gmail, that went fine... then I synced again, and bam - the AB was empty again.

I logged into the gmail account, and - wtf?? - the Contacts are all there, yes, in the 'My Contacts' group, but they are DUPLICATED (apparently from when I re-addd them).

Syncing again does NOT pull them down to my TB...

So, I deleted them in gmail, pushed them back up from TB, then when I synced again, they disappeared AGAIN, but I confirmed they are still there in gmsail in the 'My Contacts' group.

I generally don't like installing alpha s/w, but if 0.3alpha3 will solve this problem and not cause others, I will, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on why/how this might be occurring, and I'm happy to provide any details to help you troubleshoot this...

Help!

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »
I just ran into the same problem with the version I'm working on (it will be 0.3.0a4) except it asks permission before deleting multiple contacts.

For some reason, it looks like Google decided to change the self URL of contacts to use HTTPS rather than HTTP (a good idea, but not so good when done in APIs that are supposed to be stable and frozen without any sort of notice...).  gContactSync uses the self URL as the ID of the contact.  The end of the URL contains the actual ID, but back in 0.1 I decided to store the entire URL as the ID.  gContactSync matches your Thunderbird contacts with your Google contacts based on this ID.

So where the URL of a contact used to be something like this:
http://www.google.com/m8/feeds/contacts/username%40gmail.com/full/682280958b46a123

It now looks like this:
https://www.google.com/m8/feeds/contacts/username%40gmail.com/full/682280958b46a123

Resetting all synchronized address books will fix the problem in the short term because it will re-fetch all contacts from Google and use the new IDs.

Version 0.2:
  • Go to Tools -> Add-ons and click Preferences under gContactSync
  • Uncheck Synchronize contacts automatically under the Main tab
  • Go to the Accounts tab
  • Click Reset All Synced ABs
  • Restart Thunderbird and re-enable automatic synchronization if you wish

Version 0.3:
  • Open the Address Book window
  • Go to gContactSync -> Accounts
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:04:23 AM by Josh Geenen »
gContactSync: info FAQs

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:41:16 AM »
Also, if you need to recover any contacts that were deleted, please use the instructions here:
http://pirules.org/forum/index.php/topic,117.0.html

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »
0.2.14 and 0.3.0a4 are now released with a workaround and I very strongly urge updating to one of these versions:
https://www.mozdev.org/projects/overview/gcontactsync/

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:38:18 AM »
Resetting all synchronized address books will fix the problem in the short term because it will re-fetch all contacts from Google and use the new IDs.

Version 0.2:
  • Go to the Accounts tab

This did not work for me... :(

I already had automatic sync disabled (due to it constantly syncing every time I opened the Address Book), but I reset the AB (we only have one account/AB being sync'd), restarted TB, then resync'd, and the AB is still empty.

I'm not worried about losing any data, as I have the AB backed up... but, our people are quickly losing confidence in this as a viable solution for us... :(

maryc

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
Thanks!  I'm glad it wasn't just me it was happening to!

I tried to click on the link to update to the latest version, but when I get to that page I can't see where to download it.

bblackmoor

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »

No, it doesn't. It syncs once, and then deletes everything the next time it syncs.

I have spent about six hours trying to fix this so far. I feel sorry for people who don't have their contacts backed up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:48:09 AM by bblackmoor »

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »

No, it doesn't. It syncs once, and then deletes everything the next time it syncs.

Deletes them... from where?

For me, the Contacts are only deleted in the TB Address Book, they are still there on GMail.

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 09:46:46 AM »
Thanks!  I'm glad it wasn't just me it was happening to!

I tried to click on the link to update to the latest version, but when I get to that page I can't see where to download it.

Hi Mary - it's all the way over on the right hand side of the page. If you want the 0.3a4 version, you'll need to click the link to 'gcontact : extension', which will excpand the list of files so you can see all versions...

maryc

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »
Thank you!  I found it.  Giving it a try, but the version I downloaded this morning, I think 3.0a3, is still working okay for me and I've sync'd a few times throughout the day to check it and all my contacts are now staying put.

bblackmoor

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 09:49:18 AM »
Hi Mary - it's all the way over on the right hand side of the page. If you want the 0.3a4 version, you'll need to click the link to 'gcontact : extension', which will excpand the list of files so you can see all versions...

According to the release notes, the 0.3 version does not yet sync addresses, which makes it pretty much useless. Use the 0.2 version.

maryc

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 09:50:36 AM »
Yeah, I was kind of bummed about that.  Does this newer one get the addresses in? 

bblackmoor

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 09:55:28 AM »
Deletes them... from where?

For me, the Contacts are only deleted in the TB Address Book, they are still there on GMail.

Deleted from the TB address book, many, many times. At which point there were multiple duplicates in the Gmail address book, so I cleared that out and synced again. That had the same result, so I tried changing various settings in gcontactsync: sync groups, don;t sync groups, sync to My Contacts, don't sync to my contacts, etc. Six hours later, nothing has worked.

I do not blame the developer: I understand that Google changed their API without warning. But this is pretty freaking annoying, and if I did not have my contacts backed up, I would be most sorely vexed.