Author Topic: Mail-folders after Contact-Sync  (Read 10758 times)

beehave

Mail-folders after Contact-Sync
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »
Hi,

first of all: keep up the good work, this add-on is by far the best for this purpose!

I'm using 0.3a6 and noticed some strange behaviour: after contacts are synced, all my mailfolders seem to be emtpy. The mouse cursor suggests that something is loading but all mails seem to have vanished ... restarting Thunderbird will fix this (fortunately :) ). This only happens after syncing and only after I installed the latest version, so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with GContactSync.

It would be great, if you could look into this.

Greetings, Boris

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
Re: Mail-folders after Contact-Sync
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
That is really strange, can you go to Tools -> Error Console and copy/paste any errors you see there after this happens?

Also, can you copy and paste what you see under Help -> About Thunderbird?

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

beehave

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »
Hi,

I've tried it again a couple of times and managed to get the error again. This is what the error console is saying:

2010-04-06 22:01:14   gloda.index_msg   ERROR   Exception while attempting to mark message with gloda state afterdb commit [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER) [nsIMsgDBHdr.getUint32Property]"  nsresult: "0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)"  location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Programme/Mozilla%20Thunderbird/modules/gloda/index_msg.js :: PendingCommitTracker_commitCallback :: line 172"  data: no]

And then:

Fehler: invalid 'in' operand window
Quelldatei: chrome://messenger/content/mailCore.js
Zeile: 312
(six times)

Here's my about-window (Thunderbird 3.0.4, Windows XP):

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090812 Lightning/0.9 Thunderbird/2.0.0.23 Mnenhy/0.7.5.0

This also happens at work where I use Linux (Ubuntu) and Thunderbird 2.0.latest - it seems to happen more often there.

Hope this helps.

Greetings, Boris

beehave

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:24:35 AM »
Hi,

I've tried it again, this time with Linux, here's the error console when the error occurs:

Error: com is not defined
File: chrome://gcontactsync/content/Preferences.js
Line: 117
(at least 20 times in a row)

This time it's definitely gcontactsync ;)

Version 2.0.0.24 (20100317)

Greetings, Boris

EDIT: tried it again, it seems to happen all the time on Thunderbird 2 / Linux while it does only from time to time on TB 3 / XP. I've switched to manual sync for now as I don't really update contacts that often, so it's not that bad :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:14:29 AM by beehave »

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 06:16:56 AM »
I remember getting the same "com is not defined" error in TB 2 under Gentoo but I don't remember how/why and don't get it any more.

Do you get the errors when synchronizing from the main TB window or the address book window?  Could you try the other and let me know what happens?

Is the line number for the "com is not defined" error always 117?

Also, can you try disabling all add-ons other than gContactSync to see if you still get the error messages?

Josh

beehave

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:36:18 AM »
Hi,

I get the error when synchronizing from the main TB-menu but NOT if synchronized from the address book (I didn't configure the button to be displayed before so I didn't even notice the possibility to sync from there :))

Yes, the line number is always 117.

Disabling all other add-ons (which this is not an option :)) does NOT solve the problem (the other add-ons are: "Attachment Sizes 0.0.5", "Lightning 0.9", "Lightning de-DE 0.9", "Provider for Google Calendar 0.5.6" and "Timezone Definitions for Mozilla Calendar 0.1.2008d").

Also I found out that the problem only occurs if there's something to sync. If I sync (and get the error), restart TB and choose to sync again immediately, the error will not show. Changing one entry in the address book and sync again will make the error re-appear.

(all of this was tested with TB2 on Linux)

Hope this helps for tracking down the problem.

Greetings, Boris

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:22:15 AM »
Does this happen in TB3?

Personally, Josh, I think its a waste of your time and resources to continue supporting TB2...

beehave

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 06:26:43 AM »
Does this happen in TB3?
If you read the whole thread, you would know ...  :)
Yes, it does.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:29:00 AM by beehave »

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:44 AM »
You *said* you were using 3.0.4, but the about window that you quoted as prrof showed you were using TB2...

???

beehave

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:01:49 AM »
I know what the window shows (and that it *seems* I was using TB2), that's why I added that this appears in TB3.

But that was not my only post:

it seems to happen all the time on Thunderbird 2 / Linux while it does only from time to time on TB 3 / XP

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 08:18:21 AM »
Have you tried a clean profile?

beehave

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
No. I'll try that next, even though I wonder how this could change a "com is not defined"-error ...

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 08:33:28 AM »
Whacked profiles can cause all kinds of ... whackiness... ;)

markuse

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 06:04:57 AM »
Hi,

i notice exactly the same behaviour with TB3.0.4 and gContactSync 0.3.0a6
no matter if automatic or manual sync: sometimes after the sync, the mail folders will not show any emails.
I then simply right click on a mail folder at "open in new window" which gives me a new TB window which works ok again. I then close the old window.
simple workaround but would be nice if the problem could be resolved.
just sent you a donation for that great add on!
thank you!

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 10:59:55 AM »
This is definitely a problem only in recent versions of 0.3 because 0.2 is never loaded in the main TB window (messenger.xul).

I found a problem that would cause the following error, but I do not know if it will fix this problem.

Error: com is not defined
File: chrome://gcontactsync/content/Preferences.js
Line: 117

0.3.0a7 is not ready yet (I still need to make some changes to and test postal address synchronization), so would someone who can reproduce the error try replacing their Preferences.js file with this one?
http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/gcontactsync/src3/content/Preferences.js?rev=1.26;content-type=text%2Fplain

Right-click -> Save Link As then find your TB profile folder -> extensions -> gContactSync at pirules dot net -> content then save it as "Preferences.js" to replace the broken version.  Before you save make sure there is a Preferences.js file already in that folder to make sure you found the correct folder.

If you do not know where your TB profile folder is you can go to Tools -> Error Console and paste this in:
Code: [Select]
alert(Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIProperties).get("ProfD", Components.interfaces.nsIFile).path); then click  Evaluate

Otherwise I can upload gContactSync 0.3.0a6r1 with the Preferences.js fix tonight, if necessary.

Personally, Josh, I think its a waste of your time and resources to continue supporting TB2...

I'm starting to think that, but I promised support for TB 2 and Postbox (which uses TB 2's broken address book) in version 0.3.  I've already focused testing on TB 3 since that is what the majority of gContactSync users have.  Support for TB 2 and possibly Postbox if they don't update the address book will be dropped in 0.4.