Author Topic: Windows 7 problems  (Read 10884 times)

daveozric

Windows 7 problems
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:57:42 PM »
Hi Josh,

I am having some problems with Windows 7.  It works great on my XP machine.  I installed it on a 7 computer with TB 3 and put in the wrong gmail account.  I removed the account in the prefs and tried to add the right one.  It would go through the steps and ask what to call the address book then when I pressed OK it was gone.  I tried adding it again and it said the account was already there or something to that effect.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled, but the same thing.  If I pressed sync it would say syncing on the bottom, but nothing ever happened. 

I tried it on my other 7 machine today and the same thing happened, but I used the right account the first time.  The account just disappears and I can't add a new one.  The reset doesn't do anything either.

Is it Windows 7 or something I am doing?  I almost want to try uninstalling TB, but have 10 emails to re-setup.  Any suggestions? 

This is soooooo what I need. 

Thanks,
Dave

daveozric

Re: Windows 7 problems
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:33:46 AM »
I noticed something else.  When I uninstall the addon and reinstall it remembers all the settings and says the account is already created.  I watched it delete the addon directory after uninstalling.  Where are these other settings stored? 

Thanks

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:30:54 PM »
Hi Dave,

Accounts are stored in the "Login Manager" of Thunderbird and are not removed when an add-on is uninstalled.

First, close the Address Book, then go to:
1. Tools -> Options in the main Thunderbird window,
2. Under Security, click on the Passwords tab.
3. Click Saved Passwords....

If there are a lot of entries type gContactSync into the search textbox.

Select an entry with the site chrome://gContactSync then click Remove and repeat for all gContactSync entries.

Install gContactSync and restart TB if necessary, then open the Address Book window.

It should ask you to enter your credentials then show you the initial setup dialog again.

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

daveozric

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »
Hi Josh,

I tried what you said.  Didn't work. It got rid of some of the settings, but not all.  Enable verbose logging is still checked.  It wasn't the first time I installed it?  Mainly it just won't store the address book in the prefs.  It goes through all the steps and then just says synchronizing at the bottom forever.  It doesn't show any contacts in the bottom right for the gmail account either.  Which has 137 entries.  Go back to the prefs and it's gone.  If I try to re-ad it, it says already there. 

Am I the only one with this problem.  It's on 2 computers, which is weird.

Thanks,
Dave

daveozric

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »
Hi Josh,

I see a new version came out.  2.17  I uninstalled the old version and deleted the password in the password manager.  It is still doing the same thing.  I don't see anyone else having this problem.  I am assuming it's something with Windows 7 because both of my computers with 7 do the same thing. 

The gmail account just disappears and the sync just says synchronizing forever.  If someone else has gotten this to work in 7 I would try an uninstall of TB and see if it's an extension or something. 

Do you know anyone who is using 7 and had success.  I know you are busy and appreciate your help so far.

Dave

TJI

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
Hello, Dave.

I created an account here just to respond with a solution, because I was having similar problems as you (Windows 7 install).

Here's what I did that cleared everything up for me:

1) Uninstall gContactSync

2) Follow the procedure Josh outlines on his Troubleshooting page called "Remove extensions.cache" found here:  http://www.pirules.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Troubleshooting+gContactSync

Then do something Josh does not mention: delete files, and edit your prefs.js file, as follows:

3) In the Windows Explorer search utility, search your entire AppData directory for the string *gcontact*.  A list of files will come up.  

4) Delete the gcontactsync log files.

5) You will also see in your search results a prefs.js file.  Open the prefs.js file with a text editor, and search the entire file for the string gcontact.

6) Delete every line in the prefs.js file that contains the "gcontact" string.  I found about 7 or 8 lines containing it.  Make sure to delete the entire line in each case.  (The top of the file will say "Do not edit this file."  I ignored that.)

7) Save the prefs.js file.

8) Reinstall the latest version of gContactSync.

My overall strategy was to delete any and all references anywhere to any prior gContactSync install.

After doing all of the above, upon reinstall gContactSync asked me for new login credentials, etc. installed just fine, and now all of my Google Contact address books are back.

(For Google Contacts, Thunderbird address books are a mess, aren't they?  gContactSync is the only thing that comes close to fixing it. But, instead of donating to Josh, I posted this fix. Well, maybe I'll donate anyway  ;D)

Good luck.

- Tom
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:06:45 PM by TJI »

daveozric

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:31:11 AM »
Thanks,

The new beta version is working in Windows 7 except the mailing addresses.  I know this will be fixed soon.