Update September 20, 2009
There hasn't been any official notice from Google about structured postal addresses but this post
gives some advice. There are several threads in Google Groups asking about postal addresses. I've collected a few of them and put links here
This thread will contain my plans for gContactSync 0.3. The purpose of gContactSync 0.3 is to use all the new fields and features of Google's newest API version and to take advantage of a few new fields in Thunderbird 3.
I don't have a tentative release date yet since this is just a hobby, not a job. Update
: 0.3.0 was released on January 8, 2011. You can find the most recent version here
- Thunderbird 2
- Thunderbird 3a1pre - 3.3
- Seamonkey 2
- New Account dialog allowing custom control over each synchronized address book (each AB can be synced with one full account or just one group).
- Many global preferences can be changed for each synchronized address book
- Support for Google's new API
- Support for downloading contact photos*
- Synchronized birthday field**
- Synchronized nicknames and websites
- 'People' fields (Mother, Father, Coworker, etc.
- More phone number types
- Support for adding, updating, and removing contact photos
- The individual address fields may be synchronized instead of using the new address fields
*I am (among others) working on adding contact photos
to the Address Book in Thunderbird 3. gContactSync 0.3 and up will download photos but you'll have to use TB 3 to see them. Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 and Seamonkey 2 should have a new Photo tab for contacts.
**I added a birthday field
to the address book in Thunderbird 3. If you use TB 2 the values are synchronized but not displayed. Google also added a birthday field after the changes were made in Thunderbird.