Author Topic: gContactSync 0.4 Plans  (Read 17502 times)

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
Re: gContactSync 0.4 Plans
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »
As for a local / ftp synchronizer (as opposed to AB Sync's basic copy entire file as backup - instead of really SYNC), could I suggest that you use a VCF file format? Either one VCF file per contact, or a combined VCF. That would allow for nearly all phone's to be synced to and from TB, as most of them (especially iPhone & Andriod) can read & write VCF files. Even Nokia can work with these through the OVI suite. So effectively doing this would sort out much of the hassles many have with their phones & TB (i.e. having a "standard" answer of use GMail to sync your phone - WTF). The VCF files also work into TB through the MoreFunctionForAddressBook addon, and can be opened in most other contact managers (even Outlook works with them - go figure)!

Since the local filesystem sync is what I'm most interested in, I'll limit my reply to only that part of your comment...

I honestly don't care what 'format' is used, so VCF file(s) would be fine with me. I imagine it is fairly well established, standardized and stable? If so, that should make it even easier, since it would basically just be mapping the fields and tying in the 'sync' code (that compares everything to determine what needs to be synced).

davodavo

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »
Hi Josh,
Since T'Bird has gone through a bunch of upgrades in the last year or so, do you have any plans for an upgrade?  I believe T'Burd 24 has made a bunch of infrastructure changes...and it would be great if there were some imrpovements to robustness.

I don't need "features" -- but I do need the ability to handle an address book with 8000 entries.

Thanks so much for your work on this!

david

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 07:20:48 AM »
Hi David,

I'm a bit concerned about Josh - I haven't heard from him in over a year (since the end of April last year)...

I hope he is ok, and the silence just means he is busy with the good things in life...  :-\

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »
Hi David,

Sorry I've been extremely busy with work, family, etc. lately.  I haven't had a chance to keep up with the improvements in TB 24.  I know of one "improvement" in TB that causes an error with gContactSync when you try to add or update a contact with Logging enabled ;).

So far I don't know of any easy ways to improve performance with large numbers of contacts.  I've considered using a separate thread for background work, but that won't happen until v0.4 at the very earliest.

What sort of robustness improvements would you like to see other than better performance with thousands of contacts?

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

davodavo

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »
Josh,

Thanks for the reply.  I certainly appreciate your having a life -- other obligations trump this wonderful volunteer work you're doing here for the community.

I actually don't think performance, per se, is the issue at all.

It's simply ability to properly work with large addressbooks.  I would be more than happy to serve as a test bed to troubleshoot issues, as I'm a software guy.  When I tried to use your plug in, only a subset of them came over from Google.  I don't use anything fancy--no groups, lists, photos, etc.--so there's something funny going on with both v17 and v24 of TB.

Let me know what I can do to assist in testing/troubleshooting.

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
Local/Remote (FTP) sync - WAS: Re: gContactSync 0.4 Plans
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 05:10:28 AM »
That makes sense, and is similar to how gContactSync works now.  It basically authenticates and trades a username/password for a token that lasts for a certain period (months) and uses that token to fetch an Atom/XML feed of groups and then contacts.  A plugin could reuse much of the existing code and store the contacts and groups in a (nearly?) identical format on the server.  Google's API has some restrictions on the amount and type of information stored, but a few XML, JSON, or any other format easy to parse in JavaScript, files on a server would not have those restrictions.  That would allow synchronizing every bit of information from a contact between multiple address books on multiple computers for those with access to a server.

I will definitely keep this in mind when working on 0.3 and starting on 0.4

Hey Josh,

I hope everything is going well with you and yours!

I'm just circling back to see if you have given this any more thought.

I'd still really, really like to be able to sync to my own FTP server (or local filesystem) rather than having to use google as the conduit.

This thread is only two pages long, and basically nothing has changed as far as what I'd like to see, except I'm actually more interested in remote syncing than local now (ie, for remote FTP syncing, incorporate code needed for FTP capability from FireFTP Addon) - but just getting local syncing would be a fantastic start.

Thanks again!

Charles