Author Topic: Gmail contact photo size  (Read 11892 times)

opasyuk

Gmail contact photo size
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
Dear Josh,

I am not sure my problem relates to gcontactsync. But will be good if you can look into it.

Historically gmail had small photo 96x96 for contact. It was creating problem with synchronising to android contacts, which now support something like 720x720, as photos were replaced by the small one from gmail.

It is reported as being solved http://goo.gl/i9ksi

But not for me. I assume it is related to gcontactsync, as I see photos that I set on my mobile being replaced with those from thundrbird.
I could not experiment much, but it seems like it is enough for me to open contact in thunderbird, to make it synchronised to gmail and replacing high resolution image there with a small resolution from notebook.

Will be glad if you could look into that.

sean67

Re: Gmail contact photo size
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:34:28 AM »
I'm involved in the same problem.
I'm quite sure but I can't verify for all my contact that the problem is the synchronization with gContactSync.
I have tried for days with some contacts that weren't synchronized, all the contact have kept their photo in high resolution.
When I syncronized these contact they have become in low resolution.
I know that is not a "big" problem but is really annoying.

While we are waiting for a solution, there's a possibility to don't synchronize the contact photo ?

Thank in advance, if you can look into it.

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
Looks like Google doesn't allow third-party apps to upload high-res photos...

I can at least update gContactSync so it doesn't upload the photo (thus lowering the quality) whenever the contact changes.  Starting with 0.4.0rc6 will only upload and download photos if the photos have changed.  You can download the latest development version here.  It requires a one-time reset of all your synchronized address books to fix a few bugs in older versions of gContactSync and to pull in newly synchronized fields such as the anniversary date.

If you would rather not install a development version you can disable contact photo synchronization.
  • Go to the Menu -> Options -> Options (or Preferences->Preferences depending on OS) -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor...[/b].
  • Type gContactSync*Photos.
  • Right-click getPhotos and click Toggle then repeat for sendPhotos.

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

nevermind2001

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:27:42 AM »
unbelievable! since maybe 1 or 2 years my gmail contact pictures suddenly get poor quality. i searched a lot but never found a solution. then i programmed a php script (google contacts api) to check when my contacts are changed. so i found out that some of my contacts were changed (and lost quality of pictures) just when i send them a mail via thunderbird. after a long time, I finally found the reason: thunderbird/gContactsSync. so i was able to search the right keywords an found this thread.

i am really happy that my problem is solved but maybe you can make a note in the description of this addon.

p.s.: i never changed the photos in thunderbird, always with my smartphone. dont know why gContactsSync updates them...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:31:18 AM by nevermind2001 »