Author Topic: Contacts in Thunderbird Contacts were not writing to Google Contacts  (Read 3985 times)

Correzpond

I just downloaded gContactSynch gcontactsync-0.4.0b2 my installation of Thunderbird v24.0 which was syncing with my Gmail account over IMAP.

I found that contacts in Thunderbird Contacts were not writing to Google Contacts due to supposed XML errors of the nature which were shown in the log:

"***WARNING: Error while serializing the following XML: [object Element]
Error Message:
ReferenceError: XML is not defined
***ERROR: Error while adding contact

I found this page within help that recommended a edit within the synonyms.js file in the gContactSync.xpi archive described here http://pirules.org/forum/index.php?topic=495.0.

This requires extracting the .js file, editing it and then replacing and rezipping, then reinstalling the .xpi file which is not something that is particularly easy or straightforward.

In fact this modification would simply elude most users.

Basically I'm posting this here because it just astounds me that a problem which goes to the core functionality of  gContactSync functionality between Thunderbird and Google requires such a complicated and obtuse workaround to make it work.

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
Re: Contacts in Thunderbird Contacts were not writing to Google Contacts
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »
Hello,

This is related to an API change in Thunderbird that I haven't had time to update gContactSync for, unfortunately (despite advance warning from some users who saw this in the beta).  Please try to understand this is something I do in my spare time (which is extremely rare these days); not a job.  I'll try to fix it in the beta this weekend, and will upload 0.3.6 for review soon.

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

Correzpond

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:26:08 PM »
Hi Josh. I appreciate the the prompt response and understand your priorities.  If it helps to save you any time I have uploaded the corrected .js file here.  Cheers.

Correzpond

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:49:28 AM »
Incidentally if anyone else is having this problem with gContactSync v0.4.0b2, the steps required to fix the issue until an updated installation file is available using the modified synonyms.js file attached to my previous post are:

1) Change the extension of the gcontactsync-0.4.0b2-sm+tb.xpi installation file to gcontactsync-0.4.0b2-sm+tb.zip
2) Extract (unzip) the contents of this file to a new folder and name it something like 'GcontactSync0.4_mod'
3) Replace the copy of synonyms.js in the 'content' subfolder with the modified copy of synonyms.js attached to my previous post.
4) Re-zip the entire folder created in Step 2) (i.e. now containing the modified synonyums.js file) and name it something like GcontactSync0.4_mod.zip
5) Change the extension on the new zip from .zip to xpi. e.g. GcontactSync0.4_mod.xpi
6) Reinstall gContactSync0.4.0b2 in Thunderbird using this modified installation file GcontactSync0.4_mod.xpi

ccbamatx

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
THANKS VERY MUCH.

It is unbelievable that I experienced this problem on the 24th and you had a solution posted on th 23th.

Solution Tested Perfectly!

Thanks again,

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:19:37 PM »
I released version 0.4.0b3 with the fix: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/gcontactsync/ and scroll down to Development Channel.  If you already have 0.4.0b2 it should automatically update soon.

Sorry it took so long to fix.

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

Correzpond

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:29:39 AM »
Thanks Josh. gContactSync is an extraordinary utility and I realise it is sometimes challenging to keep across all changes made to the programs & systems it communicates with.  I sometimes forget that projects such as gContactSync are largely a labour-of-love and that you do not have the resources of a corporate behemoth supporting you.