Author Topic: Bug report on 0.4.0b3  (Read 4538 times)

davodavo

Bug report on 0.4.0b3
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:31:19 PM »
Running TB24 on Win7 64 bit Pro edition with all the latest patches.
Synching a single address book of 3500 contacts.
Sync worked the first few times, but has since stopped updating in either direction.  Also, the "final summary report" pop-up doesn't show up most of the time, and when it does...it (correctly) says there have been no updates commpleted.
Have rebooted machine and restarted TB several times.
Error log is showing errors that look like timeouts...probably on the google side.  I have NOT been taking TB offline (even tho the error message complains of an offline status).
Symptom occurs uniformly on several different networks (all WiFi, but fast).
Note that the sync cycle takes several minutes (this is on an 8-core 2.4 GHz box).

So there are TWO bugs here:
  * bogus timeouts / "offline" statuses
  * when there is a sync failure of that kind, the updates that should have been made are marked as "done", which means that the updates won't be noticed on the next sync attempt...even if that one is successful, the changes won't be synched and TB vs Google drift farther and farther apart.

Log can't be attached here, much too large even when compressed.  So...it's posted at www saleslogistix com / logger dot zip

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
Re: Bug report on 0.4.0b3
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
I'm getting a 404 when trying to download your log file.  Do you have any other add-ons?  If so please try again after disabling them.

A user reported that Lightning may be causing offline errors.

I'll look into the second bug in the meantime.

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

davodavo

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
zillions of other add ons.
what was weird was the address books synched just fine for the first day or so.
I changed nothing in the configuration (other than network hopping), yet it just doesn't go anywhere.

fixed the URL...the magic power of typos!

davodavo

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
disabled all plugins and sync worked (quickly, too).
there's still two more contacts in TB than in Google, but who knows what that might be about.
I must have Lightning running (as it's my day manager), but I'll temporarily leave all other plug ins off. 
Appeared to work, at least this one time.
If it works I'll add plug-ins one by one to see what happens.

Is there some sort of a timeout threshold I can adjust in the settings?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:42:02 PM by davodavo »

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »
You can also do a binary search to find the conflicting add-on more quickly.  Just enable half of the suspect add-ons at a time.  If it works else enable half of the other group, else disable half of the group you just enabled.  Repeat until you find it.

You can increase the timeout of the Unresponsive Script warning or disable it.  I have instructions here.

Josh

davodavo

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »
thanks for the info...
I changed the unresponsive script threshold, but I was thinking more about the network response threshold...where the protocol declares a timeout (pushing to offline status incorrectly).
You may have no control over this in your code...but maybe just increasing the retry threshold could work...

davodavo

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »
ok, went through several permutations for the add-ins...all of them are now enabled and sync is working flawlessly.
don't know if this is some weird networking problem...will keep you apprised

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »
You can also do a binary search to find the conflicting add-on more quickly.  Just enable half of the suspect add-ons at a time.  If it works else enable half of the other group, else disable half of the group you just enabled.  Repeat until you find it.

Ah, the old half-split method... learned that one way back in 1979 in ET training in the Coast Guard...

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 09:28:39 PM »
I changed the unresponsive script threshold, but I was thinking more about the network response threshold...where the protocol declares a timeout (pushing to offline status incorrectly).

Oops.  There's a new-ish (TB 12) timeout value for XMLHttpRequest but the default is 0 which means no timeout.

Let me know if happens again.  I'd like to put more debug information in the log, or maybe have you set up Wireshark.

Ah, the old half-split method... learned that one way back in 1979 in ET training in the Coast Guard...

Nice, I learned that back in early high school during my tech support forum days.

davodavo

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 09:06:44 AM »
Re XMLHttpRequest -- couldn't find it in the Config Editor or in any of the files in my Thunderbird Profile directory.

Also couldn't find it in any of the files in the Thunderbird install directory.

Maybe its inside a ZIP file somewhere, but you've piqued my curiosity about this parameter...

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
That's a value I'm going to have to add to gContactSync as a preference; an XMLHttpRequest is how gContactSync makes requests to Google.

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »
Try this, I added a timeout preference in extensions.gContactSync.httpRequestTimeout (you'll have to use the config editor for now).
The time is in milliseconds, and 0 means no timeout.

http://downloads.mozdev.org/gcontactsync/gContactSync-0.4.0b4pre.xpi

davodavo

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 08:07:03 AM »
Thanks...I've installed the plugin version you pointed me to.
Checked in config editor and the value had been set to 0...either that's what it already was, or that's what it was set to at install time.
For the moment, I'm going to leave it at 0. 
Presumably, this would mean I'd "never" expect to see an offline status message in your log...
Will let you know if I experience any anomalies.
For now, I've been running several days with no probelms on b3...

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 06:20:27 PM »
The default value has always been 0, now there's a way to set a custom value in case you start seeing that message again.  I suspect there's a timeout somewhere since others have reported the same problem but are never able to recreate it.

You shouldn't see an offline message unless you set Thunderbird to offline mode or disconnect yourself from the Internet.

javadsha

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 11:43:43 AM »
copied again-- as it went to another subtopic!
another issue- not sure if i need to put it here.
tried to use import facebook/ twitter addresses (experimental)
my observation --- facebook- names and facebook profile as webpage are getting imported. few are getting merged also correctly with old one, but few do not. also it do not pick up birthdates, mobiles or email id from facebook.
But it got all contacts atleast!!

But twitter -- says 0 imported!!!
----------
additional comment - seems facebooks addresses are going to other contacts in gmail, and once i move to my contacts and do some editing, on syncing the editing vanishes and it moves again to other contacts group!