Author Topic: Sync problem with 0.4.0b4  (Read 2473 times)

daniel_ha

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Karma: +0/-0
Sync problem with 0.4.0b4
« on: January 16, 2014, 03:15:09 AM »
Hi,

yesterday I installed the development version and managed to upload all contacts from my existing TB adress book to an empty Google contacts. The first sync results seemed fine, and I managed to update the Google contacts in my Android Smartphone. But now (since yesterday) during sync a window pops up with the following error:

Code: [Select]
gContactSync received a 503 (Service Unavailable) error from the server.  Please try again later.
Details:
Temporary problem - please try again later and consider using batch operations. The user is over quota.

Clicking OK makes another window pop up:
Code: [Select]
*****Synchronization Summary*****
 - Not changed: 0
 - Conflicted: 0        (changed in Thunderbird and Google)
Changes to Thunderbird (local):
 - Added: 0
 - Updated: 0
 - Removed: 0
 - Ignored: 0   (due to read-only mode)
Changes to Google contacts (remote):
 - Added: 0
 - Updated: 0
 - Removed: 0
 - Ignored: 0   (due to write-only mode)
*****End of summary*****

This happens both when I do a full sync or a write-only (push from TB to Google). I am attaching the log for the case write-only.

Any quick solution to this?

Josh Geenen

  • gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 720
  • Karma: +5/-0
    • Pi Rules.org
Re: Sync problem with 0.4.0b4
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »
Unfortunately the only solution is to wait.  Google has an undocumented limit on how many requests can be sent in a given amount of time for a user and you have hit that limit, probably due to uploading all your contacts.  There's a batch mode that I'll eventually use that will help this situation.

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

daniel_ha

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Karma: +0/-0
Re: Sync problem with 0.4.0b4
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:52:19 AM »
I think I found a solution: I created a new empty TB address book, and then synced that to Google contacts. I know that it is the recommended procedure to start with an empty TB address book, but I didn't follow it because I had all my addresses in TB, not in Google. So to sum up, I managed to get everything working by first uploading all the contacts from the existing TB address book to Google (using gContactSync development version as described above), and then creating a new TB address book and then syncing that to Google, and continue using this new address book.

Btw, I have about 350 contacts, which seems so little that I wouldnt expect it to break the undocumented request limit set by Google.

Thanks a lot, please continue the great work!!!

Josh Geenen

  • gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 720
  • Karma: +5/-0
    • Pi Rules.org
Re: Sync problem with 0.4.0b4
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 09:35:12 PM »
Please update to version 0.4.0rc4.  If it doesn't happen automatically you can go here, scroll down to Development Channel and download the latest testing release.

gContactSync was sending requests more quickly than Google's undocumented limit allowed so it returned a 503 error.  Version 0.4.0rc4 adds a 120 ms delay between requests which was enough in testing to mitigate these errors.

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs