Author Topic: Sync problem after updating from 0.4.0b4 to 0.4.0rc1  (Read 2412 times)

daniel_ha

Sync problem after updating from 0.4.0b4 to 0.4.0rc1
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:04:35 AM »
Hi

after updating to the latest development version, the same problem reappears that I had described for version 0.4.0b4 in post http://pirules.org/forum/index.php/topic,560.0.html

0.4.0b4 seemed to work fine with the solution described there. After the plugin had updated, it said something like TB Contacts converting to new format, and on the first sync the same error message appears:
Code: [Select]
gContactSync received a 503 (Service Unavailable) error from the server.  Please try again later.
Details:
Temporary problem - please try again later and consider using batch operations. The user is over quota.
This doesn't go away. I will try the same trick as before and create a new TB address book and post again.

EDIT: I created a new TB address book and synced and it seems to work.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:25:54 AM by daniel_ha »

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
Re: Sync problem after updating from 0.4.0b4 to 0.4.0rc1
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »
When you first upgrade to 0.4.0rc1 or later gContactSync has to update all your contacts to fix a bug that set certain field types to "home" incorrectly.  This updates every contact so the next sync will re-upload your contacts to Google.

How many devices do you synchronize with Google on a daily basis?  This includes phones, tablets, unique TB installations, etc.
gContactSync: info FAQs

daniel_ha

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:07:27 AM »
I have 1 TB installation and 1 Android phone.

Since I created the new TB address book, the problem has not appeared. It seems that at the moment, it is still required to start with an empty TB address book. I thought that 0.4 should be able to handle existing address books?

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »
It can handle new address books; it sounds like it's just sending requests too quickly so Google returns an error.  I was able to recreate it but only when re-uploading all my contacts to the same account from two machines.  I envy your network speed ;).

I'll see if I can write a script that recreates it more easily and try to find the magic delay I need between requests to avoid 503 errors.  I'll try to send you a debug version with a changeable delay between each API request this weekend.

Josh

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:49:40 PM »
It turns out I already added a hidden preference for this almost 2 years ago but left it with a default value of 0 and forgot about it  ;).  I renamed it, added it to the Advanced tab of the Preferences dialog, and added a button (Throttle Test) to find the required delay.  Could you try running it and let me know what delay it says?

It told me 100 ms so that will be the new default unless you get a higher number.

You can download the pre-release of 0.4.0rc3 with the new button here.

Josh

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »
Please update to version 0.4.0rc4 and let me know how it works.  If it doesn't update automatically you can go here, scroll down to Development Channel and download the latest testing release.

gContactSync was sending requests more quickly than Google's undocumented limit allowed so it returned a 503 error.  Version 0.4.0rc4 adds a 120 ms delay between requests which was enough in testing to mitigate these errors.

Josh