Author Topic: Initial sync in 0.4.0rc5  (Read 1714 times)

sschaub

Initial sync in 0.4.0rc5
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:01:50 AM »
Scenario: A nonempty TB address book that has not been synced with Google. The address book has lists. A nonempty Google address book.

1. I associated the TB address book with a Google account and initiated Sync.
2. TB indicated that the address book needed to be "reset" (I think because it doesn't contain the standard Google groups). I clicked Ok, then restarted TB as directed.
3. Requested Sync again. After sync completed, all lists which were initially in the TB address book were empty. The lists that existed in Google were copied down to the TB address book and populated.

Is gContactSync designed to preserve the contents of TB lists in a scenario like this?

Stephen

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
Re: Initial sync in 0.4.0rc5
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »
Hi Stephen,

What were the names of the lists in the TB address book (did they match the "system groups" in Google: Friends, Family, Coworkers, My Contacts)?
I tried it locally with mailing lists that did not match any I currently had in Google and it worked OK.  I also tried with a new AB that contained a "Coworkers" list with a single contact.  Upon the first synchronization gContactSync added that contact to the group as expected, and correctly added all the contacts I had in that group in Google to the existing mailing list.

Is gContactSync designed to preserve the contents of TB lists in a scenario like this?
It should.  The reason it emptied your lists is the message you saw.  Was it this one:

"One or more of your mailing lists has broken.  This can happen if you drag and drop several contacts into mailing lists, or sometimes if you have contacts without e-mail addresses.\nCertain groups in Gmail (My Contacts, Coworkers, Family, and Friends) cannot be deleted or renamed, either.\nClick OK to reset the addresss book or Cancel to do it later.\nVisit the forum if you have any questions"

If so one of your mailing lists probably wasn't working correctly.  I've seen this happen if an application requests the contacts in a mailing list immediately after a contact is added to it.  It also happens periodically, especially if the mailing list has any contacts without e-mail addresses or if you recently deleted a mailing list.  Mailing lists don't support contacts without e-mail addresses but unfortunately Thunderbird doesn't stop you from dragging and dropping a contact without one into them...

If you still have TB open could you:
1) Look in the Error console (menu -> Tools -> Error Console) for "A mailing list has broken"
2) Send me the log

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

sschaub

Re: Initial sync in 0.4.0rc5
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »
Josh,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I believe the TB address book had a list named Friends. And yes, the message I saw was the one you described. Unfortunately my logs are gone - I restarted TB.

I just tried to reproduce the problem and was not able to do so. So, who knows what the problem was.

I do appreciate this plugin and look forward to using it!

Stephen