Author Topic: tb crashes  (Read 3327 times)

javadsha

tb crashes
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:09:25 AM »
using tb24.6.0 , since 24.5.0 the gcontactsync started using huge memtory more than 1gb and than crashed the tb. The gcontactsync versions are 0.4.0rc7 (it was same issue in rc6 also)
as both tb and gcontactsync got one updates, i thought it might have been resolved, but not.
i have kept this addon in disabled mode as of now

but as i found it to be a great help to sync/update my contact book, waiting for update/feedback

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
Re: tb crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:16:46 PM »
How many contacts do you have in Google and your synchronized address book (please login and check in case gContactSync is creating duplicates)?

Please try the following to send me a log:
  • In Thunderbird, go to Menu -> Options... -> Options...
  • Go to Advanced -> General and click Config Editor...
  • Click I'll be careful, I promise if you see it.
  • Type or paste extensions.gContactSync.autoSync into the Search box
  • If it isn't already set to false under Value right-click and click Toggle.  This will disable auto sync when TB starts.
  • Replace the Search text with extensions.gContactSync.verboseLog and Toggle it to true.  This provides more details in the log file but slows gContactSync down when synchronizing.
  • Enable gContactSync and restart Thunderbird.
  • Before you sync, go to Menu -> Tools -> Error Console then paste the line below in and hit Evaluate.  It will tell you where your TB profile is located.  The gContactSync log file will be in a folder called gcontactsync.
  • Sync.  When TB crashes please find the log file and e-mail it to joshgeenen at gmail.[/b]

Code: [Select]
alert(Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIProperties).get("ProfD", Components.interfaces.nsIFile).path);

Josh
gContactSync: info FAQs

javadsha

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »
thanks, will try to do it, as of now waiting to be created, a long time, tb says not responding, but log file is changing a lot, so till it stops, will wait and send

javadsha

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
first attemp, after stabilising log file failed, as for emailing i started tb and immediately it made log file new! will copy it first next time!

javadsha

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
did and have sent a ziped file, as normal log was 20mb or so, do let me know if you need unziped file.

also i forgot to add , the tb may have already many duplicates as it shows 7500 addresses against 7165 or so in google

javadsha

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 12:59:24 AM »
have another system with tb 24.5.0 & gcontactsync versions 0.4.0rc6 IN ONE OF THE SYSTEMS! BOTH ONE VERSION DOWN
it is doing sync without making tb unstable, but have started creating duplicated in tb addressbook. trying to send log from that system also, in case that helps

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »
Summary from the e-mail I sent:

You have an empty contact in Thunderbird that has no synchronized fields set.  This is causing an error during synchronization so the last sync date of the address book is never updated.  Since other contacts are still added or updated they conflict during the next sync.  Unfortunately any contacts you try to delete through Google or on another machine would be re-added due to this error which is probably causing the duplicates you mentioned.

I have a fix for the empty contact issue and another warning I noticed in your log in version 0.4.0rc8: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/gcontactsync/#beta-channel

Please install this on all synchronized computers and sync.  Unfortunately you'll have to clean up the duplicates manually.  If you log into Gmail and go to Contacts -> More there's a "Find and merge duplicates" tool that can help.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and understanding!

Josh

javadsha

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 04:32:42 AM »
josh
thanks for the update and effort

replies
Could you turn on Verbose Logging in the preferences on that machine and send me another log from this new system?   There's a warning in there I'd like to see more details on.-

unfortunately, by the time, tb has autoupdated and is now next version, though gcontactsync is same version and i am trying to get verbose log to you

You have an empty contact in Thunderbird that has no synchronized fields set.  This is causing an error during synchronization so the last sync date of the address book is never updated.  Since other contacts are still added or updated they conflict during the next sync.  Unfortunately any contacts you try to delete through Google or on another machine would be re-added due to this error which is probably causing the duplicates you mentioned.

I can tell this is some issue created by gcontactsync, as this empty contact is getting created many time, and not sure, but most of the times when there is some break in sync (internet connetcion stopped, or if i close tb before the sync is closes) - i have noticed it since i have started using gcontactsync (may be 00.4b1 or something) and i have been deleting manyally that wheneveer i can see, but it had never gave this stability issue till now.
why i can tell sync issue , is because i am normally not adding any contact manually in tb, if at all, i do it in google and also autosave email id feature of tb is being used.

I have a fix for the empty contact issue and another warning I noticed in your log in version 0.4.0rc8: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/gcontactsync/#beta-channel

Please install this on all synchronized computers and sync.

in one of the system i do have that updated few days back, but that also had made it unstable, will try it again today.

Unfortunately you'll have to clean up the duplicates manually.  If you log into Gmail and go to Contacts -> More there's a "Find and merge duplicates" tool that can help.

yes, thanks, i know it and doing it regulalry, so not an issue.

one of the discussion, i went through somewhere in this forum is, if update is by more than one addon it can cause problem or something!

so additional details, if that helps--
i am using gcontactsync on 5 machines, and android sync on one of the mobile with google address book.
this has been working great for a long time! I SHOULD APPRECIATE THE ADDON FOR THAT, EXCEPT THE CURRENT HITCH. ALSO i used to have raindrop app, which has become fullcontact now  in google to update the addresses, this is also for a long time and no change in that.
just giving all this infor, so that it can help you to isolate / know possible problem.

Thank you once again for your efforts

javadsha

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 04:42:12 AM »
as i said , 0.4.0rc8 is also not helping -- the memory usage went beyond 1.2GB and have crashed, sending the versboselog once again in email

javadsha

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 06:29:25 AM »
have sent another log also, not sure if that is old versions or new as i can see updated gconactsync in that system also now!

javadsha

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 04:16:46 AM »
and why your home page says
The current version is 0.3.6/0.4.0b3.  a small change in version also required!

javadsha

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 06:36:23 AM »
by the time, i get response tried to work with older version, thinking theye were not giving problem and were stable. but tb is obviously new version.

tried 0.4.0rc6 amd tham 0.4.0rc5
than i tries sync from scratch, as new sync, with  0.4.0rc5.
my google address book is 7086 strong, the tb sync created 10000+ and growing -- the initial sync, and not any resync or anything!!! waitng if it stops somewhere else will stop manually!

javadsha

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 07:11:43 AM »
it got somehow reduced to 7229 after resync, and the sync summary said 7218 unchanged. not sure what this small difference is! let me see if this new addressbook works without any problem and than if i can do same thing in other systems.
if that happens, i can update all to latest gconatctsync and try or you have any other suggestion?

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »
I think the blank contacts from Thunderbird crashes or force quits through the task manager caused some lots of duplicates due to the blank contact bug.  Your last successful sync was so long ago that nearly every contact is conflicted and synchronization takes a very long time when gContactSync tries to update every contact.  I'd recommend resetting your address books on all synchronized machines using 0.4.0rc7.

• Open the Address Book window
  • Right-click on the synchronized Address book
  • Click Reset (replace from server).  Read the prompt and click OK to continue.
  • Close all Thunderbird windows and start Thunderbird again
  • Sync

and why your home page says
The current version is 0.3.6/0.4.0b3.  a small change in version also required!

Sorry, that is almost always out-of-date.  Thanks for the reminder.

javadsha

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:31 AM »
thanks, i presume the step i did before your advise was exactly same, but some roundabout way!
what do you mean by last sync was long ago? do you have a date? as all systems except one netbook should be doing it once in a day if not than couple of days.