Author Topic: contact on gmail not syncing to TB  (Read 5362 times)

Bill H

contact on gmail not syncing to TB
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »
I just added a contact to my gmail contacts and ran gContactSync, but the contact was not added to Thunderbird.  I also changed a phone number on an existing gmail contact and ran the sync, but the contact did not get changed in TB.

I have gContactSync set to "Read-only (your client receives updates from Google)"  and to sync "All groups and contacts".  I thought that would mean that additions or changes on gmail would get sent to TB.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Bill

DaKo

Re: contact on gmail not syncing to TB
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:38:24 AM »
I think we have the same problem I described here: http://pirules.org/forum/index.php/topic,644.0.html?PHPSESSID=50d5037c1a141000d2354110aad4c244

I've also set gContactSync to "Read-only". If I now change something on the Google Contacts site, gContactSync tells me that there are no changes. The only thing that helps is to remove/reset the address book in Thunderbird and set it up/sync it again. On this first sync all contacts (including the changes I made) are copied to Thunderbird, but all following changes made at the Google Contacts site are again not "noticed" by gContactSync. The contact photos are also not downloaded for all contacts (the selection of contacts which receive a photo is also pretty random). I also tried to completely remove gContactSync and set it up again from scratch, but the problem couldn't be solved by this method.

This problem problem first occured when gContactSync was updated to 2.0.x. I then installed for testing purposes version 1.1.2 and as by a miracle everything worked with this version. So there is either a bug or Google is somehow "restricting" something (the number of allowed requests or the like) with the new API.

Bill H

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:04 PM »
DaKo,

Thanks for the reply.  I guess we'll have to wait for Josh to respond with a fix.

Bill

Bill H

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 11:21:35 PM »
I just did another test and this is still a problem.  A new contact added to gmail will sync to Thunderbird.  However, if I add or change a phone number on an existing contact in gmail it is not synced to Thunderbird.  This seems like a major bug.  Is this a known bug which is being looked at?

Thanks,
Bill

S.J.Cowley

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:51:24 AM »
For the instances where I have "Read-only (your client receives updates from Google)"  and sync "All groups and contacts", nothing is being updated. Two way sync works mostly, other than if I reset addressbooks then I run into the photo problem described at http://pirules.org/forum/index.php/topic,644.0.html. Hence at the moment I am somewhat stymed (other than reverting to 1.1.12).

Bill H

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:15:35 AM »
S.J.

How do you revert to 1.1.12?  I don't see a copy of that anywhere.  Can you point me to where I can get a copy of that version?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill H

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 11:32:18 PM »
I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but this is really frustrating.  It has been over a month since I first reported my problem of changed items not syncing and still no word from Josh as to whether or not this is a known problem and whether or not there is work being done to fix the problem.  I know the addon is free and therefore it can only be fixed when Josh has time, but at least a confirmation that he is aware of the problem and trying to fix it would be nice.

Bill

tanstaafl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but this is really frustrating.  It has been over a month since I first reported my problem of changed items not syncing and still no word from Josh as to whether or not this is a known problem and whether or not there is work being done to fix the problem.  I know the addon is free and therefore it can only be fixed when Josh has time, but at least a confirmation that he is aware of the problem and trying to fix it would be nice.
Josh has a busy personal life, but he will check in eventually...

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 06:49:55 AM »
The problem with photos not being downloaded is Google's undocumented quota/rate limit.  It seems to have changed around the time I released 2.0.0, which also is faster than 1.x, making the problem worse.  2.0.5 will throttle photo requests. See https://github.com/jdgeenen/gcontactsync/issues/80.

The best way to help me support the add-on is to give clear steps to recreate a problem.  For example, the following steps might recreate your problem and doesn't involve changing any of your existing contacts/address books.  Sending a log from this simple sequence of steps would also be very helpful.

1. Create a new group in Gmail
2. Add a contact to the group
3. Synchronize the group with a new address book in TB in read-only mode
4. Update the contact in Gmail
5. Synchronize

Expected behavior: Contact is updated in TB
Actual behavior: ...
gContactSync: info FAQs

Bill H

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »
Josh,

OK... here goes.  One thing first.  This problem has nothing to do with groups, it is with individual contacts that I am having the problem.

1. Update an existing contact in Gmail by changing a phone number or email address or postal address
2. Synchronize

Expected behavior: Contact is updated in TB.
Actual behavior: Nothing is updated.  This happens for all contacts in my gmail account.

However, if I add a new contact and run the sync it does create the new contact in TB.  If I delete an existing contact it does delete the contact in TB.

Bill

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:04:10 AM »
Hi Bill,

I mentioned the group so you could describe the entire setup of the synchronized AB, including read-only mode, whether you sync groups with mailing lists, a single group, etc.  All of those options are important since any one of them could be the cause.  I won't have time to look into this for a while, unfortunately.

Josh

Bill H

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
Josh,

I have attached the settings for the address book in question.

Bill

sean67

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 08:22:02 AM »
I use this program since a long time, without any problems.
Unfortunately, I had the same problem from a few days. :'(
I heard that recently the Google API are changed....could be a source of the problems ?

mhaxx

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »
After the initial sync, it hasn't worked good anymore: no contact (updated or..) is synced, why? and when will this bug be fixed?

Josh Geenen

• gContactSync Developer
  • Administrator
    • Pi Rules.org
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »
I found the issue and uploaded 2.0.5 with the fix.  It will be available whenever someone from addons.mozilla.org has time to review it.

Thanks for letting me know about this!

Josh